- Determine the steer tube cut length by determining the total stack height and leaving extra length for spacers and the possibility of installation on alternate frames.
- Cut the steer tube with a pipe cutter. Use a file to remove all sharp edges and material protruding from the outer and inner diameter of the steer tube cut.
- Press 1 1/8" star nut using a star nut installation tool.
- Press headset race according to headset assembly instructions.
- Clean all clamping surfaces prior to assembly.
- M6 fastener torque: 5-6 N-m.
- M6 fastener torque: 8-10 N-m.
When Changing Inserts
- Refer to frame compatibility page first!
- Leave the steer tube in the frame.
- Leave the lower crown clamped to the stanchions.
- Remove the top cap and steer tube spacers.
- Loosen the two M6 insert clamp screws.
- Loosen the M5 screws on the upper clamp only.
- Remove the inserts.
- Wipe the clamp surfaces and new inserts clean with a clean rag.
- Install the new inserts.
- Install steer tube spacers and top cap and adjust headset.
- Make sure the inserts are installed in the clamps completely.
- Make sure the steer tube is installed in the lower insert completely.
- Check fork alignment.
- Torque M6 screws to 5-6 N-m.
- Torque M5 screws on upper clamp to 8-10 N-m.
Rock Shox Boxxer (left), Fox 40 (right)